Mandate of the PPAO
- To advance the legal and civil rights of patients by means of both individual case work and systemic advocacy;
- To inform the patient, family, hospital staff, and the community about patients' legal and civil rights;
- To assist, facilitate (self-advocacy), and help resolve the complaints made by psychiatric patients by providing an avenue for resolution through negotiation according to the patient's instructions;
- To investigate alleged incidents and to assess institutional and systemic responses to these instances;
- To refer patients, when necessary, to outside community advocacy resources such as community organizations, lawyers, or physicians who may offer a second opinion.