The PPAO at a Glance
The PPAO has supported the rights of mental health in-patients for over 27 years. By the numbers, the PPAO:
- provides Rights Advice services in 84 of 87 "Schedule 1" mental health facilities in Ontario, meeting with some 25,000 clients every year.
- provides Patient Advocacy services in each of the 10 dedicated psychiatric facilities in Ontario, assisting some 3,400 in-patients every year with issues related to quality of care, quality of life, access to justice, social entitlements, and human rights concerns.
- provided Rights Advice for more Community Treatment Orders than ever in 2009, consisting of some 2,500 rights advice contacts. This represents a 10-fold increase in CTO rights advice since 2001.
- helped 3,700 patients apply to the Consent and Capacity Board to review the conditions of their involuntary detention or finding of incapacity to consent to treatment.
- served 3.3 million public visitors through its website.
"Our website is currently under construction.
We regret any inconvenience caused"